Sunday, August 16, 2009

Catch-Up Day

Yesterday I decided just to stay at home. I had been on the road for the last two days and was pretty tired. I decided to try and get caught-up on balancing books and updating all my records for the year to date. I worked on that most of the day, and I still have a lot to do. I hope to be all caught-up tonight. In doing so, I feel pretty good with how well the business had done at maintaining cash-flow. We are also learning to time customer deliveries to the points when money becomes very tight (especially having deliveries set to a few weeks before turkeys start to be processed). After doing this or digging into it, I feel much more confident about what I am doing. Although we will not make money this year, because of high expenses associated with the well installation and fencing, I know that before infrastructure improvements and money spent on the acquisition of breeding stock, that we are doing pretty good.

I also had a brand new customer come out and bring his wife. We talked for some time and he offered to assist me in designing some things offered a few thoughts on how we can be more efficient in a few areas. He also spent a good deal of money and ordered two turkeys, so that feels great. The two sheep flocks got combined yesterday. That was not my intention, but the sheep would have none of it. It does make me more concerned about how I am going to handle a ram come September. He is not supposed to breed until very late November and into December (that is my plan), so I can be lambing in late April and early May. I will get some flock pictures as soon as the camera comes back from Janice's vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment